Every Friday, the WeAreTeachers editors share our favorite finds and news from the week, from the top teacher stories to must-use discounts and the latest and greatest memes. It gets better: if you sign up for our newsletter, you’ll get these picks before everyone else.
1. Make way; teachers are headed for office
“This history teacher is making history.”
— Education Week (@educationweek) November 7, 2018
While it’s true many of the teachers running for office lost, at least 42 won seats on Election Day.
2. What teachers really need
At the top of the list? A living wage and competitive healthcare.
3. What happens when you stop shushing a chatty class?
The answer is kind of liberating.
4. An inspiring way to give back to your community
While learning about the human body.
5. Because we could all use a little more kindness
Especially this week.
6. A peer editing anchor chart we love
What a great anchor chart for peer-to-peer editing! 📷: @taleof2teachers https://www.weareteachers.com/25-awesome-anchor-charts-for-teaching-writing/
Giving students these concrete suggestions will no doubt help peer editing go more smoothly.
7. File this one under “unexpected but totally earned teacher skills”
Props to those who fix their own paper jams… 🙌 🙌 and refill the paper trays.
Teacher tee of the week
View this post on Instagram
Thank you @weareteachers for this awesome shirt!! Teacher-friends, you need to check out @weareteachers Amazon store and get one of these amazing shirts! Soo cute! There are so many teacher sayings that I know we could all relate to. Mine says, “Teach and Be Kind”. So sweet 💛 . . #weareteachers #teachersofinstagram #teachershare #teachertalk #teachergram #teachers #teacherootd #teachersofig #teachersonig #teacherlife #teacherideas #teacherlook #teacheroutfit #teacheroutfitoftheday #teacheroutfitpost #teacheroutfitideas #teacherfashion #teacherfashionista #teacherfashionblogger #teacherfashions #petiteteacher #petiteteacherstyle #fashion #fashionblogger #fashionable #fashionstyle #fashionable #newjerseyteacher #thirdgrade #thirdgradeteacher
Plus, other stories you may have missed on WeAreTeachers:
- 12 Ways Teachers Can Work From Home
- Stop Asking Me If I’m Challenging Your Child
- Creative Ways to Use Mason Jars in the Classroom
Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to get our top stories every week! Plus, check out top stories from prior weeks below.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of November 2, 2018
1. Kids in poverty get more screen time, wealthier kids get less
2. South Carolina teachers are poorer now than in 2008
4. Need a whiteboard upgrade?
5. The importance of meaningful, focused conversation in the classroom
Top Teacher Stories: Week of October 26, 2018
1. Districts turning to creative housing for teachers
2. In related news, teacher salaries in some states are shockingly close to the poverty line
3. Maybe more teachers in office will shift the balance?
4. How these schools are getting their kids up and running—literally
6. National Cat Day is on October 29—are you ready?
Top Teacher Stories: Week of October 19, 2018
1. These actual rules for teachers will blow your mind
2. Newsflash: American teachers are not respected
3. Speaking of which…your Aunt Linda should probably read this list
5. Celebrating the National Day on Writing
6. Is flexible seating overrated?
Top Teacher Stories: Week of October 12, 2018
2. The ultimate teacher hack
3. Are fine motor skills on the decline?
4. Last chance to register for the Mindful Education Summit
5. Definitely the way I will be handling all future graffiti
6. Please don’t take away our planning time
Top Teacher Stories: Week of October 5, 2018
3. It’s hygge season, y’all
7. Already feeling tired and drained? Here’s one way to reset.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of September 28, 2018
2. Schools reckon with Kavanaugh nomination
3. Give us all of the banned books
4. A math program that gives kids the extra practice they need
5. At last! We have something in common with Kristen Bell
6. How one teacher found a way through tragedy
7. Finally, a moment of levity we could all use
Top Teacher Stories: Week of September 21, 2018
2. We’re not getting our fair share of tax deductions.
3. Breaking news: teaching middle school is hard.
6. Not all of us are dealing with lawnmower parents.
7. Okay, fine. We’ll take the babysitter rate.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of September 14, 2018
1. Time Magazine cover story hits it out of the park.
2. It turns out that teachers can be lawnmowers, too.
3. Georgia schools return to paddling.
4. You could win a $20,000 trip for you and your students.
5. Teacher wins international public speaking competition.
6. Your students are amazingly smart. Value that.
7. A compelling case for reading novels in math class.