Today’s classrooms are usually a hive of activity, with noise levels ranging from a gentle buzz to an outright uproar. This can make it tough for teachers to get their students’ attention. You can try attention-getters and clapbacks, flip the lights on and off, or flash hand signals. Sometimes you even resort to yelling, even though it rarely works. This is why a classroom doorbell has become a must-have for teachers everywhere. Here’s how to use one, along with some of our favorite models.
(Just a heads up, WeAreTeachers may collect a share of sales from the links on this page. We only recommend items our team loves!)
1. A classroom doorbell is so easy … and affordable
Wireless doorbells are so easy to use. You plug the receiver into an outlet, set the tune and volume, and away you go! Teachers especially love the SadoTech Model C (shown above) as a classroom doorbell. The basic model is less than twenty bucks and has 52 different chimes to choose from. Plus, it comes in an array of colors!
2. It makes transitions a breeze
Changing from station to station, or transitioning from group work to quiet time, can involve a lot of shouting. Get students’ attention with your classroom doorbell and teach them to follow a routine when they hear it.
3. You can use different chimes for different activities
Sadotech’s multiple remote model comes with five (yes, five!) remotes in different bright colors. Program each to play a different chime and teach kids the correct responses when they hear them.
4. They make awesome game buzzers too
Playing a game? Use the different remotes as game buzzers! Make sure each is programmed to a different tune, so you’ll know who rings in first.
Learn more: Time 4 Kindergarten
5. A classroom doorbell is good for getting the teacher’s attention, too
What can we say? Sometimes learning is loud! Get a wireless classroom doorbell with two remotes and attach one outside your door for visitors. The SadoTech CX wireless doorbell comes with two remotes, and you can set each to ring a different chime.
6. It’s great for keeping conferences on schedule
This is a great way for parents to signal they are ready, without interrupting your conference entirely.
7. The remote is small and easy to carry with you
Once you fall in love with your classroom doorbell, you’ll always want the remote nearby. You could stick it in your pocket, but someone discovered that these little remotes fit perfectly into the jelly wraps meant for mini hand sanitizer bottles. Clip it to your lanyard, and you’re always set.
8. You can also attach the remote to your teacher ID
As always, Velcro is a teacher’s best friend.
9. You can add a clothespin and clip it anywhere
This is so brilliant! Just be sure not to accidentally glue the battery compartment closed.
Learn more: Kindergarten Smorgasboard
10. A classroom doorbell lets you show off your teacher personality
With so many tunes to choose from (even this bargain model comes with 38 options), you can change up your chime to suit your mood. And the jelly wrap options available out there (check out dollar stores or everyone’s favorite bath and body chain) are so much fun!
11. You can even buy custom doorbell remote cases!
Want a little splurge that’s so much fun? Try a custom doorbell holder! You’ll find several Etsy sellers who specialize in them.
- Notebook Paper Remote Holder, Grandmommy’s Threads/Etsy
- Sloth Remote Holder, Nest on Redwood/Etsy
- Crayon Box Remote Holder, Nest on Redwood/Etsy
- School Mascot Remote Holder, Grandmommy’s Threads/Etsy
12. Students really get into the spirit of it
“My students came up with an idea … they told me that the student with the most Class Dojo points at the end of the week can pick the chime/music for the following week. What a great idea!”
13. It can help make special days even more special
Is it someone’s birthday today? Change the remote to play Happy Birthday! Or choose a special chime to indicate that it’s the day before Winter Break, or even just a Friday.
14. Basically, once you have a classroom doorbell, you’ll wonder how you ever taught without it
Seriously, a classroom doorbell is a real game changer. What are you waiting for?
Want to find great deals on wireless classroom doorbells and other teacher supplies? Join the WeAreTeachers Deals Group on Facebook.