Every Friday, the WeAreTeachers editors share our favorite finds and news from the week, from the top teacher stories to must-use discounts and the latest and greatest memes. It gets better: if you sign up for our newsletter, you’ll get these picks before everyone else.
1. Helping schools impacted by Hurricane Florence
2. We’re not getting our fair share when it comes to tax deductions.
Call me crazy, but it just doesn’t seem fair that teachers can only deduct $250 for school supplies, but the new tax laws allow business executives to deduct the full cost of a private jet.https://t.co/mIPW6OYsnr
— Jim Knight (@jimknight99) September 16, 2018
3. Breaking news: Teaching middle school is hard.
At least we’re in it together?
4. Get your DonorsChoose project fully funded!
In celebration of Extra Yard for Teachers Week, Sept. 15-22, the #ExtraYardGives campaign is back to fund…
Just comment on the Facebook post above for your chance to win.
5. Using your fingers to do math is not babyish.
And this article in The Atlantic explains why.
6. Not all of us are dealing with lawnmower parents.
How to foster family involvement from those who don’t show up.
7. Okay, fine. We’ll take the babysitter rate.
View this post on Instagram
So…our district is on strike and with all the craziness it’s been awhile since I posted, so here’s a pic of a fabulous sign a teacher was wearing on the picket line today! Happy Friday everyone!! Rest up! . . . . . #outcome #strike #babysitting #tracherstrike #teacherstress #picketline #teaching #iteach #iteachtoo #iteachmath #teachtoinspire #backtoschool #notyet #teachersofinstagram #teacher #teachersofig #weteach #priorities #exercisr #hopeful #iteachsecondary #iteachmath #secondaryteacher #teacherlife #resilience #grit #teachersfollowteachers
In our wildest dreams, am I right?
Teacher tee of the week
Plus, other stories you may have missed on WeAreTeachers:
- When Physical Activity Matters Just as Much as Minecraft
- 5 Strategies to Use With Your Squirmiest, Wiggliest Students
- Why Teachers and Schools Should Encourage Kids to Vote
- 25 Sticky Note Teacher Hacks You’ll Want to Steal
Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to get our top stories every week! Plus, check out top stories from prior weeks below.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of September 14, 2018
1. Time Magazine cover story hits it out of the park.
2. It turns out that teachers can be lawnmowers, too.
3. Georgia schools return to paddling.
4. You could win a $20,000 trip for you and your students.
5. Teacher wins international public speaking competition.
6. Your students are amazingly smart. Value that.
7. A compelling case for reading novels in math class.