Every Friday, the WeAreTeachers editors share our favorite finds and news from the week, from the top teacher stories to must-use discounts and the latest and greatest memes. It gets better: if you sign up for our newsletter, you’ll get these picks before everyone else.
1. #NoSummersOff campaign tackles the myth of the 12-week vacation
— Good Morning America (@GMA) July 16, 2019
Did you catch teacher Nicholas Ferroni on Good Morning America, talking about his viral campaign?
2. When you feel like you can’t show your true self at school
We were so inspired by this teacher’s words.
3. The prejudice against older teachers
Have you noticed this in your district?
4. The truth about trauma
Kids who have experienced trauma aren’t trying to press your buttons.
5. Well, shiitake!
Which words from this list are you going to steal?
6. How do they do it?
I will never know.
7. The difference you make, every day
Our words have power. 👊
Plus, other stories you may have missed on WeAreTeachers:
- 11 Books to Teach Students About the Refugee Experience
- 21 of the Best Flexible Seating Options for Today’s Classroom
- 18 Estimation Activities That Take the Guesswork out of Teaching Math
Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to get our top stories every week! Plus, check out top stories from prior weeks below.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of July 12, 2019
- Why are teachers still paying for their own school supplies?
4. Be the coolest teacher in your school when you win these robots
5. There’s nothing like visiting with a former student
Top Teacher Stories: Week of June 28, 2019
Top Teacher Stories: Week of June 21, 2019
1. “Why I stay”
Top Teacher Stories: Week of June 14, 2019
Top Teacher Stories: Week of June 7, 2019
1. That’s it, we’re all moving to Johnstown, PA
2. It’s time to rethink perfect attendance awards
7. Me rn
Top Teacher Stories: Week of May 31, 2019
1. Denver teacher adopts sick student
2. The trouble with kindergarten
4. An answer to teacher stress
6. My new teaching motto
Top Teacher Stories: Week of May 24, 2019
6. This time of year, we all get a little squirrely.
7. Finally, 101 ways to cope with stress
Top Teacher Stories: Week of May 17, 2019
1. It’s better to be rich than smart, according to new research from Georgetown
2. Recess shouldn’t be a requirement, says Georgia Governor
3. Are teacher’s leadership skills a corporate liability?
Top Teacher Stories: Week of May 10, 2019
1. Oregon teachers not asking for raises, just nurses, librarians, and arts education
2. Empathize first, and the rest will follow
5. Bookmark this; read every day until school gets out
7. Current mood
Top Teacher Stories: Week of May 3, 2019
3. What teachers need to know about the rise in teen suicide
5. The pros and cons of coming to teaching later in life…
Top Teacher Stories: Week of April 26, 2019
1. Can we all agree that we need to STOP taking recess away from kids?
2. Why don’t all schools have EpiPens?
6. It’s usually worth it to dig deeper
Top Teacher Stories: Week of April 19, 2019
1. AFT President Randi Weingarten delivers wide-ranging speech on the state of teaching
2. Plus, in the Breaking News category, it turns out teachers don’t get lunch breaks
3. What can teachers in training learn from prisoners?
4. “That kid” is so often dealing with pain or fear
6. Anyone who says “kids these days”…
Top Teacher Stories: Week of April 12, 2019
1. Teachers can get free flights to Mexico for Teacher Appreciation Week
2. This is one of the biggest pain points of our week
3. James Patterson supports classroom libraries
5. We’d love to see this idea spread
Top Teacher Stories: Week of April 5, 2019
3. Adulting class? Yes, please
4. How much do you know about special ed law?
Top Teacher Stories: Week of March 29, 2019
1. Betsy DeVos argues for bigger class sizes
3. Gear up for April Fools’ Day with this epic list
5. It’s getting to be that time of year…
6. A teacher’s March Madness bracket
7. We can’t stop laughing at this #laminatingfail
Top Teacher Stories: Week of March 22, 2019
1. School districts are banning DonorsChoose.org
2. Indiana teachers shot with pellet guns during active shooter drill
6. The genius of the purple folder
7. Kids are so literal
Top Teacher Stories: Week of March 15, 2019
1. Test anxiety is on the rise
2. Smart and easy classroom swaps you can make for the environment
3. Our favorite classroom dice games
4. Yay! Pizza on us
5. Middle schoolers are a little bit evil
Top Teacher Stories: Week of March 8, 2019
1. The value of old-fashioned note-taking
2. Sometimes all it takes is encouraging kids to speak up
4. Kids are so amazingly creative
6. There has never been a truer meme
Top Teacher Stories: Week of March 1, 2019
2. What happens when you get rid of behavior incentives?
4. The best prize money we’ve seen in a long time
5. I wish I was half as clever as these teachers
7. I probably should get this tattooed on my left arm.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of February 22, 2019
1. Oakland teachers are the latest to walk out
2. What schools can do to welcome immigrant families
4. Your teacher friends should apply for this
6. The college courses we wish we’d taken
7. My classroom theme: “Do your work”
Top Teacher Stories: Week of February 15, 2019
1. Denver teachers reach agreement
3. Who has the best job in education?
4. The most popular kids’ books by grade
6. Yeah, this rings true for my school
7. The importance of showing you care
Top Teacher Stories: Week of February 8, 2019
1. The glorification of cute
2. Speaking of simpler classrooms …
Top Teacher Stories: Week of February 1, 2019
1. The Internet agrees: best bus driver ever
4. How schools are teaching the most underrated social emotional skill
5. The job-hunting article you need to read
6. The four-color was pretty good, but six? Amazing.
7. Teamwork makes the dream work
Top Teacher Stories: Week of January 25, 2019
1. Kids learn from who they love
2. Doing screen time the right way
3. Bringing coopetition from the boardroom to the classroom
4. How to make a beloved series come to life
6. The funniest kid answer of the week
Top Teacher Stories: Week of January 18, 2019
1. Los Angeles teachers strike
2. Where have all the valedictorians gone?
3. There goes middle school, giving us 80s vibes
4. A teacher who defaulted on her loans makes a comeback
5. Reading, writing, and…building houses?
6. When you support teachers, you support kids.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of January 11, 2019
1. Teachers ready to strike in Los Angeles, Denver
3. What are some alternatives to being in the classroom?
4. Did you hear?
5. When resignation letters go viral
7. The hardest part about teaching
Top Teacher Stories: Week of December 14, 2018
1. Los Angeles headed toward teacher strike
2. Why teachers don’t use pricy educational software
3. The symbols of teaching past…
4. The free printable that could save indoor recess
6. When we want independence, but demand compliance
Top Teacher Stories: Week of December 7, 2018
Top Teacher Stories: Week of November 30, 2018
1. Rhode Island students sue for the right to learn civics.
2. Why do teachers leave the profession?
3. Kids born in August are the most likely to receive an ADHD diagnosis
4. We’re giving away thousands in prizes during December
5. New research shows teachers turn to DonorsChoose when faced with budget shortfalls
6. There’s no tired like teacher tired
Top Teacher Stories: Week of November 16, 2018
1. Teacher heroes sleep overnight at school
2. D.C. teachers leaving in droves
3. What reading 20 minutes a day does to your brain
4. We’re giving away boatloads of Amazon.com Gift Cards
5. Put this in your lesson plans for next week
6. We can’t stop laughing at the answers to this question.
7. From victimhood to agency?
Top Teacher Stories: Week of November 9, 2018
1. Make way; teachers are headed for office
3. What happens when you stop shushing a chatty class?
5. Because we could all use a little more kindness
7. File this one under “unexpected but totally earned teacher skills”
Top Teacher Stories: Week of November 2, 2018
1. Kids in poverty get more screen time, wealthier kids get less
2. South Carolina teachers are poorer now than in 2008
4. Need a whiteboard upgrade?
5. The importance of meaningful, focused conversation in the classroom
Top Teacher Stories: Week of October 26, 2018
1. Districts turning to creative housing for teachers
2. In related news, teacher salaries in some states are shockingly close to the poverty line
3. Maybe more teachers in office will shift the balance?
4. How these schools are getting their kids up and running—literally
6. National Cat Day is on October 29—are you ready?
Top Teacher Stories: Week of October 19, 2018
1. These actual rules for teachers will blow your mind
2. Newsflash: American teachers are not respected
3. Speaking of which…your Aunt Linda should probably read this list
5. Celebrating the National Day on Writing
6. Is flexible seating overrated?
Top Teacher Stories: Week of October 12, 2018
2. The ultimate teacher hack
3. Are fine motor skills on the decline?
4. Last chance to register for the Mindful Education Summit
5. Definitely the way I will be handling all future graffiti
6. Please don’t take away our planning time
Top Teacher Stories: Week of October 5, 2018
3. It’s hygge season, y’all
7. Already feeling tired and drained? Here’s one way to reset.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of September 28, 2018
2. Schools reckon with Kavanaugh nomination
3. Give us all of the banned books
4. A math program that gives kids the extra practice they need
5. At last! We have something in common with Kristen Bell
6. How one teacher found a way through tragedy
7. Finally, a moment of levity we could all use
Top Teacher Stories: Week of September 21, 2018
2. We’re not getting our fair share of tax deductions.
3. Breaking news: teaching middle school is hard.
6. Not all of us are dealing with lawnmower parents.
7. Okay, fine. We’ll take the babysitter rate.
Top Teacher Stories: Week of September 14, 2018
1. Time Magazine cover story hits it out of the park.
2. It turns out that teachers can be lawnmowers, too.
3. Georgia schools return to paddling.
4. You could win a $20,000 trip for you and your students.
5. Teacher wins international public speaking competition.
6. Your students are amazingly smart. Value that.
7. A compelling case for reading novels in math class.