As we reach the end of the year, we’re looking back not only on 2019, but an entire decade of #teacherlife. And what a ride it’s been. At the beginning of the 2010s, WeAreTeachers was known for its awesome contests. Those are still rocking and rolling, but we’ve added daily articles and printables and amazing social communities on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram. Here’s a look back at some of our best stories of the decade.
1. We met a new breed of parent.
This decade saw helicopter parenting become an extreme sport, and teachers were on the front lines.
2. We pinpointed every personality at your faculty meetings.
3. We gave you the perfect clapbacks for tough conversations about teaching.
No, Karen, teaching kindergarten is NOT just playing with blocks.
4. We argued for more comfortable work wear.
Jeans day, every day.
5. We explained the real reasons why so many teachers leave their jobs.
Because burnout is real.
6. We led with compassion.
It won’t cure everything in your classroom, but it’s a start.
7. We shed light on actual rules teachers have to follow.
8. We found the best grades to teach.
(Sorry, elementary and high school teachers.)
9. We got serious on the BIG problems facing public education.
This list is a must read for those in public policy.
10. We explored the long-lasting impact of childhood trauma.
Trauma-informed teaching is here to stay.