We recently posed this fill-in-the-blank statement to our fans on Facebook.
If I had a quarter for every time a student said ___________________ then I’d be rich!
Whoa! Talk about this resonating with teachers! We received more than 1,000 completely accurate and spot-on responses. Whether you teach elementary, middle, or high school, take a look at these common phrases that you likely hear dozens of times a day. While we can’t make students stop saying these things or give you a quarter each time you hear them, sometimes it just helps to know that others understand and can relate.
Hang in there teachers! Your _______________________ is just around the corner. (Feel free to fill in with whatever brings you happiness: weekend, holiday break, massage, BFF time, etc.)
1. What are we supposed to do again? –Erin E.
2. Wait, we had homework? –Sandra L.
3. But you didn’t tell me to turn it in. –Amanda B.
4. Can I go to the bathroom? –Lisa C.
5. Is it time for snack/lunch/recess yet? –Katie M.
6. Is this for a grade? –Karen S.
7. I don’t know what we’re supposed to do. –Beckah H.
8. I didn’t know we had a test today. –Sandra L.
9. I don’t get it. –Jessica A.
10. Do we have to write this down? –Michelle H.
11. But I was just… –Miranda K.
12. I can’t find my pencil. –Lauren F.
13. Did I miss anything while I was gone? –Linda C.
14. Can you tie my shoe? –Keri S.
15. You didn’t tell us that! –Amanda D.
16. I wasn’t talking. –Lisa C.
17. What page are we on? –Jen W.
18. I didn’t know it was due today. –Debra A.
19. I wasn’t on my phone. I was just checking the time. Lisa C.
20. Can I get a drink of water? –Kristin H.
21. I can’t see the board. –Jack A.
22. I forgot my book in my locker. –Katie H.
23. Do I have to put my name on it? –Jessica K.
24. I didn’t have time to do my homework. –Eunice W.
25. Are we doing anything today? –Shani H.
26. He cutted. –Jessica D.
27. My mom forgot to put my homework in my backpack. –Miriam C.
28. Can I get extra credit for that? –Kimberly H.
29. What is the date today? –Alexa J.
30. You never told us that! –Sharon H.
31. It wasn’t me. –Regina R.
32. You never gave me that. –Sharon H.
33. But she did it, too! –Krystal K.
34. What time do we get out of this class? –Rachael A.
35. Ewwwwwww! –Kimberly M.
36. I’m all done. What should I do now? –Suzette L.
37. When is this due? –Ann C.
38. I’m bored. –Stace H.
39. I was only texting my mom. –Mike F.
40. Do we have to write in complete sentences? –Robyn S.
41. Teacher. Teacher. Teacher. –Janet B.
42. Why do I need to learn that? –Naomi L.