Third grade is a huge transitional year in elementary school. Third grade writers have learned foundational concepts and skills and have had time to practice. Now they are developing more complex skills as they dig deeper, learn to make connections, and analyze the topics they write about. Here are 50 third grade writing prompts to help your students master and refine their writing skills.
If you’d like even more upper elementary writing prompts, we publish new ones twice a week on our kid-friendly site: the Daily Classroom Hub. Make sure to bookmark the link!
(Want this entire set in one easy document? Get your free PowerPoint bundle by submitting your email here, so you’ll always have the prompts available!)
1. Tell about a special event in your life.
2. What are you best at?
3. What do you want to learn more about?
4. I could never live without______.
5. If you could go anyplace in the world, where would you go and why?
6. Interview one of your parents or grandparents and ask them to tell you a story from their childhood. Share their story here.
7. Describe one of your favorite book characters. Tell three things about their personality.
8. Do you think third graders should have to do chores at home? Why or why not?
9. What is something you would change about school if you could?
10. Tell about a time you helped somebody.
11. Tell about a time somebody helped you.
12. Tell about a memorable “first” in your life. For example, the first time you ate a particular kind of food, the first time you met your teacher, etc.
13. Describe step by step how to make a pizza.
14. What does it mean to be a hero?
15. I am afraid of _______ because_______.
16. What is the difference between being polite and rude? Give three examples.
17. What is the most important rule in the classroom?
18. What are the three most important qualities you look for in a friend?
19. Do you think kids should be assigned homework? Why or why not?
20. Nature gives us many beautiful things—plants, animals, water, weather, stars and planets, etc. What is one of your favorite things in nature and why?
21. If I were a spider, I’d _______.
22. Three things that make me happy are ______.
23. What is your favorite holiday and why?
24. Tell about one of your family’s unique traditions.
25. If you could have a pet, what would you choose? How would you take care of it?
26. Write about a dream you recently had.
27. Tell about a person that inspires you and why.
28. Name five things you are thankful for and why you are thankful for them.
29. What are ways you can be a good citizen?
30. When you and a friend disagree, how do you work it out?
31. What do you think the world will be like in one hundred years?
32. What is your favorite type of weather? Why?
33. What superpower do you wish you had? Why?
34. What famous person would you like to meet? Why?
35. In your opinion, which animal makes the best pet? Give three reasons for your answer.
36. If someone gave you $100, how would you spend it?
37. Should third graders have cell phones? Why or why not?
38. If you could be an Olympic athlete, what sport would you participate in?
39. Write about your “getting ready for school” routine.
40. Write about your “getting ready for bed” routine.
41. If you could travel through time like Jack and Annie in the Magic Tree House, where would you go?
42. In your opinion, what does a perfect weekend look like?
43. Write about the last time you felt really angry. What happened and how did it all work out?
44. Pretend there was a special zoo where animals could talk. Which animal would you talk to and what are three questions you would ask?
45. What is your favorite thing with wheels? Why?
46. Tell the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears from the point of view of Baby Bear.
47. What do you think would grow if you planted a magic bean?
48. Which would you rather be able to do—fly or read people’s minds? Why?
49. Tell about an adult in your life that you admire.
50. If you were traveling for a week and could only bring a backpack, what would you pack?
Love these third grade writing prompts? Make sure to check out our third grade jokes to start the day !