Opening your daily math lesson with a word problem of the day is an excellent way to set the stage for learning! Incorporate them at the start of your math block to build confidence, critical thinking skills, and a learning community. Students will get used to reading for meaning, while also identifying key information. Encourage students to write out equations and draw pictures to explain their thinking, since this helps them see the light when they are stuck!
Topics in these kindergarten math word problems cover addition, subtraction, comparison, number sense, comparing numbers, and measurement. Want this entire set of kindergarten math word problems in one easy document? Get your free PowerPoint bundle by submitting your email here. All you need to do is post one of the problems on your whiteboard or projector screen. Then let kids take it from there.
50 Kindergarten Math Word Problems
1. Sue has 2 markers. Tom has 3 markers. How many markers do they have all together?
2. There are 4 red blocks on the rug. There are 4 yellow blocks on the rug. How many blocks are on the rug in all?
3. Sam has 3 marbles. Tim gave Sam 1 marble. How many marbles does Sam have now?
4. One cat is in the yard. 4 more cats come into the yard. How many cats are in the yard now?
5. Jill had 7 toy cars. She got 3 more for her birthday. How many toy cars does Jill have now?
6. Ava has 2 more books than Lucy. Lucy has 6 books. How many books does Ava have?
7. There are 7 red chairs and 2 green chairs at the table. How many chairs are at the table all together?
8. Pete put 2 pencils in his desk. There were 3 pencils in there already. How many pencils are in Pete’s desk now?
9. Tina has 4 jackets at home and 2 jackets at school. How many jackets does Tina have in all?
10. Bob has 5 more stamps than Bill. Bill has 2 stamps. How many stamps does Bob have?
11. James has 5 flowers. He gives Lisa 3 flowers. How many flowers does James have left?
12. 8 birds were on the playground. 5 birds flew away. How many birds are still on the playground?
13. Karen had 4 peanuts. She ate 3 of them. How many peanuts does Karen have left?
14. There are 6 boxes on the truck. 4 boxes are blue. The rest are green. How many boxes are green?
15. Frank has 7 donuts. If he gives 3 away, how many donuts will he have left?
16. Tim had 5 balls at home. He took 1 ball to school. How many balls did he leave at home?
17. There are 10 pieces of fruit in the bowl. 2 are apples. The rest of the fruit are oranges. How many oranges are in the bowl?
18. Kris has 5 stickers. She gives Dave 4 of her stickers. How many stickers does Kris have left?
19. Lisa drew 4 pictures. Kelly drew 6 pictures. Who drew more pictures? How many more?
20. Malik has 10 balls of clay. He gives 10 of the clay balls to Rob. How many clay balls does Malik have now?
21. Sara wants to make 8 cards. She already made 4 of them. How many more cards does Sara need to make?
22. The class sang 5 songs. They want to sing 10 songs. How many more songs does the class want to sing?
23. Rose had some beads on her bracelet. She got 3 more beads and put them on. Now she has 6 beads all together. How many beads did Rose have at the start?
24. Mr. Jones had 4 pens. He bought some more pens. Now he has 6 pens. How many pens did he buy?
25. Lilly has 3 pink hats, 2 white hats, and 1 purple hat. How many hats does Lilly have in all?
26. Pat has 4 erasers. Ken has 2 erasers. Jason has 2 erasers. How many erasers do they have all together?
27. There were some animals in the barnyard. There were 5 goats, 4 cows, and 1 sheep. How many animals were in the barnyard all together?
28. South Street has some houses on it. 3 houses are blue, 1 house is gray, and 4 houses are white. How many houses are on South Street?
29. Meg has a cat, 2 dogs, and a parrot. How many pets does Meg have?
30. Ken likes to plant trees. He planted 7 pine trees, 2 oak trees, and 0 spruce trees. How many trees did Ken plant all together?
31. Ms. Matho gave her class this pattern and asked them to finish it: 3, 4, 5, 6, __, __. What should the last two numbers be?
32. Ian has a pattern on his shirt. It was blue stripe, red stripe, blue stripe, red stripe. What color is the next stripe?
33. The countdown started. The class called out, “10, 9, 8, 7, 6…” What were the next two numbers they called out?
34. Joan was counting her socks by two’s. She had 4 pair of socks. How many socks is that all together?
35. Faith’s hat has a letter pattern on it. It goes A,B,C, A,B,C. What letter comes after B in the pattern?
36. Larry has 12 stamps. Barry has 11 stamps. Who has more stamps?
37. There were 20 yellow backpacks. There were 19 blue backpacks. Which color were most of the backpacks?
38. Jessica had some crayons. Pam had 15 crayons. Jessica had 2 more crayons than Pam. How many crayons did Jessica have?
39. Stan had 14 pennies. Dave had 9 pennies. Who had less pennies?
40. Beth was 8 years old. Her sister, Lori was 10 years old. Who is older? How much older?
41. The stick was 10 inches long. It was painted red and white. 5 inches of the stick were red. How much of the stick was white?
42. Frisky the cat weighs 6 pounds. Mittens the cat weighs 9 pounds. Which cat weighs more? How much more?
43. 17 is Chan’s lucky number. The number that comes before Chan’s is Ming’s lucky number. What is Ming’s lucky number?
44. The buses are all lined up in number order. The #12 bus is Juan’s bus. What number bus comes right after Juan’s bus?
45. Stacey practiced soccer for 6 hours last week. Emily practiced soccer for 4 hours last week. Who practiced soccer longer? How much longer?
46. Mrs. Tang’s class got 18 new books from the book fair. Mr. Smith’s class got 15 new books from the book fair. Which class got more new books from the book fair?
47. There are 10 children at the lunch table. 4 are boys. The rest are girls. How many children at the lunch table are girls?
48. The doors in the school are in number order. Carol is in Room #11. Delia is in the room right before Carol’s. What room is Delia in?
49. There are 3 boxes. The pink box has 4 balls in it. The orange box has 2 balls in it. The black box has 2 more balls than the pink box. Which box has the most balls? How many are in that box?