Teach your young learners to recognize short vowel words that rhyme! Recognizing words that rhyme helps young learners read and spell similar words in that word family. Begin with this short vowel rhyming game to introduce students to fundamental rhyming patterns that can later be built upon by learning about long vowel rhyming words. Get started with this interactive drag-and-drop game to make rhyming fun!
How does the rhyming game work?
The word bank gives options for students to choose from, and they’ll decide which words rhyme with the example given on the right side of the screen. Students will drag and drop the words that correctly rhyme to practice their skills.
How can I use this game in the classroom?
- Project the game on a classroom screen and have your class work together to decide which words rhyme.
- Invite students up to the screen to drag and drop the words into the correct spot.
Independent or At-Home Work
- Give each student a copy of the game on their own device and have them practice independently. Then, you can review each student’s screen or check the answers as a whole group.
- Set up devices with the interactive game as a station in literacy small groups.
- Share the interactive with families as a resource for extra at-home practice.