If you’re like me, the list of books you’ve read in your lifetime is a mile long. And the list of books you want to read? Even longer. But the should-reads (you know, the sort of titles you find on every Classic Literature 101 syllabus)? Not so much. We asked the teachers on our Facebook page to share the titles they’ve always intended to read, maybe even tried to read, but didn’t actually read. Here are the top books teachers have never read. And to protect the innocent, we’re not naming names.
1. Lord of the Flies: “Somehow I never read it in school…and now I hear it’s like teaching during COVID.”
According to feedback from SO many, lucky you!
2. Fahrenheit 451: “I have had many faked conversations about this book.”
Mark Twain put it best: “Classic—a book which people praise but never read.”
3. Wuthering Heights: “Way too angsty.”
Oh, Heathcliff! *swoon*.
4. The Catcher in the Rye: “So pretentious and insufferable.”
Aw, he’s just an introspective and confused adolescent (sound familiar?).
5. A Tale of Two Cities: “I know the first line (who doesn’t?) but that’s it.”
But who could resist madness, treason, and the French revolution???
6. The Hobbit: “Don’t take away my nerd card, but I don’t get the love.”
Middle Earth’s not for everyone, just sayin’.
7. The Book Thief: “When you’ve started a book five times and never finished it, sometimes it’s a sign that it’s not meant to be.”
I mean, what’s all the fuss about?
8. 1984: “It’s 2020 now. Aren’t I too late?”
So many books, so little time!
9. Romeo and Juliet: “I don’t need to read it; I live it in the middle school hallways.“
Probably because you got everything you needed from the Leonardo DiCaprio version.
10. Don Quixote: “There’s something about windmills?”
So many windmills.
11. Dracula: “I don’t need anything else to keep me awake at night.”
And, screens for the win.
12. A Christmas Carol: “I’ve seen the movie version so many times, it feels like I’ve read it.”
13. The Grapes of Wrath: “Grapes. Wrath. Never really understand all the fuss about this one.”
Just not a dustbowl kinda guy, I guess.
14. The Giver: “It’s like they took the middle of a book and just published that part.”
Want more funny stuff like these books teachers have never read? Be sure to subscribe to our newsletters.
And don’t miss reading Teachers Share the Funniest Things That Have Ever Happened at a Staff Meeting.