Do you teach weight and measurement using non-standard units? Then you need to make this easy homemade weigh station for some hands-on exploration. It’s a great center activity or way to model non-standard units for the whole class.
Here’s What You Need
- 3 small binder clips
- 3 large binder clips
- 2 clear plastic cups
- Bulletin board paper
Here’s What to Do
1. Begin by placing the small binder clips on either end of the hanger. Remove the handles.
2. Place a large binder clip over the top of the small binder clips.
3. Attach cups.
4. Make a hook for the weigh station by placing another large binder clip over a small binder clip. Remove one of the large handles and one of the small handles.
5. Attach the hook to a paper-covered bulletin board by placing thumbtacks in the remaining small handle.
6. Hang the weigh station on your hook.
7. Draw a level line below the weigh station.
8. Use different non-standard weights to see what equals what…
9. …or what weighs more or less.