Pool noodles are available everywhere during the summer, and they’re inexpensive, too. So it’s a great time to stock up for fun, hands-on classroom activities, like Pool Noodle Phonics.
What You Need
To make this hands-on activity, which can be used at a center or for independent word work, all you need is:
- Pool noodles in at least two different colors
- Glue stick
- Construction paper
- Broom handle
- Cutting board
- Permanent marker
What to Do
1. Begin by cutting a slit lengthwise along the entire pool noodle.
2. Next, cut the pool noodle into one-inch pieces.
3. Write three different vowels on each of the separate pool noodle pieces. Repeat the process using a second color pool noodle and consonants.
4. Next, put glue on the long end of the construction paper. Roll the construction paper around the broom handle so that it becomes a tube.
5. Slide your pool noodle letter beads onto the construction paper tube. You might practice consonant-vowel-consonant words, ending blends like -nd or -lp, or words that have both beginning and ending blends.
6. Consider having students record all the words they make using their pool noodle letter beads. Enjoy!
Learn how to make it here: