First graders have lots of big ideas and opinions, but they are still learning how to put letters and words together in order to communicate in writing. Help spark their imaginations and get them writing with these 25 first grade writing prompts.
The following writing prompts are designed to spark your first grader’s imaginations and get them writing! And they are perfect for in-person or virtual learning.
(Want this entire set in one easy document? Get your free PowerPoint bundle by submitting your email here, so you’ll always have the challenges available!)
1. After school I love to_______.
2. I’m proud of myself when_____.
3. To be a friend you must_____.
4. One of the fun things my family likes to do together is _____.
5. Would you rather fly like a bird or swim like a shark? Why?
6. If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?
7. What would you put in a treasure chest?
8. This is how you make a sandwich.
9. If I were as tiny as an ant, I would ______.
10. My favorite color is ____ because_____.
11. I’m excited to learn about _____.
12. Who is the funniest person you know?
13. If I could fly, I would go_____.
14. My favorite thing to do on the playground is_____.
15. I’m really good at_____.
16. Listening is really important because_____.
17. When a friend is sad how can you help them feel better?
18. List five things you know about bugs.
19. What is your favorite sport? Why?
20. I like to read books about_____.
21. My favorite art activity is_____.
22. One thing I find very interesting is_____.
23. I am different because_____.
24. When I am by myself I like to_____.
25. What are three things you do before you go to bed at night?
Love these first grade writing prompts? Make sure to check out our first grade jokes to start the day !