Teacher Divya writes in to our Teacher HELPLINE:
“Although I’m not new to teaching, I’m new to third grade this year. What are some great books I can add to my classroom library that my students will love?”
Welcome to third grade, Divya! Here are our helpliners’ favorite bookshelf picks. Happy browsing!
- Stone Fox. It’s an emotional book, so it’s a good lesson on the different feelings books can make you have. Chocolate Fever and Frindle are fun too! —Jessica L.
- The Magic School Bus, Magic Tree House and June B. Jones series. —Tanya C.
- The A to Z Mystery series. —Ashley F.
- Dan Gutman all the way! —Jennifer C.
- Remember to include books for your higher-level readers, like Number the Stars and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. Try well-loved authors like Scott O’Dell, Lois Lowry and Gary Paulsen. —Helen C.
- Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, Roald Dahl, maybe Diary of a Wimpy Kid and the Goosebumps series. —Farrah C.
- The Toothpaste Millionaire by Jean Merrill. —Erin F.
- My third graders will fight over the I Survived series. Even the kids who I just can’t get to read love those! They also love Magic Tree House and National Geographic books. —Rachel S.
- Anything by Roald Dahl. —Fred C.
- Beverly Cleary, the Who Was…? biography series and the I Survived series. Don’t forget, they still love picture books too! —Annabel M.
What’s your favorite book to share with your students? Join the conversation in the comments below.